Grub stage1 file error

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 6 03:30:15 UTC 2003

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> I don't agree at all with what you think is "very clear". Anaconda
> allows manual partitioning where you can take over existing
> partitions. You can even skip formatting existing partitions.

I've never personally fed a FAT16 partition to anaconda just to see
whether I could overlay it with a Linux system. So I can't say what
would happen here. Perhaps I can experiment just to find out. Say, try
to assign mount points to a FAT16 partition. But where will I put \ if I
have a FAT16 partition taking up the whole disk and I need \boot to be
the first partition? And where is swap going to live? If you activate
swap, that formats it.

I don't think the installer lets you continue the installation process
unless you have /boot, /, and swap at a minimum. But most FAT16
partitions take up the entire physical drive. You very quickly find
yourself forced to partition as part of the installation process. And if
you do that with disk druid, FAT16 is not one of the available partition
types.

But let's suppose you somehow have 3 FAT16 partitions on a drive or on 3
separate drives in the system. Does the installer mount them as FAT16 or
ext3? I don't know. I don't know how you can actually write data to a
partition not supported by the installer.

>>The real problem is elsewhere and won't be solved with fdisk.
>

> I disagree strongly. The OP should switch the partition type to
> "Linux", so any tool -- e.g. a bootloader like GRUB which implements
> native file-system access to load files -- is not confused. GRUB would
> use a FAT driver to access an ext3 file-system.
>
> IMO, this is *very* likely to be the problem. And yes, I've seen cases
> of file-system/partiton-type confusion before.

Correct me if I'm wrong: you go into fdisk, change a partition type to
x'83', Linux ext3, write the change to the partition table, and what is
the next step? I've done this several times and I think you have to
format the partition. How else can you get your inodes and journalling
done? Formatting destroys everything on the drive. Which will surely not
boot the system.

Are you saying that you can just change a partition type from FAT16 to
ext3 and, without formatting it, get Grub to work with it? And
subsequently boot to such a partition? If so, then that is something new
to me. I've never done that before.

More information from the user will help pinpoint the issue. The user
did not post very much detail to start with and didn't really give
enough detail subsequently.

Bob