is magicdev evil?

Tommy McNeely Tommy.McNeely at Sun.com
Mon Oct 6 20:57:50 UTC 2003

I personally think magicdev is kindof evil... it was just recently wasting
away at like 25% of my CPU, and my CDROM drives haven't been opened in
like a week. What does it do? is it only for mounting CD's or does it also
mount removable media (like the slot in the side of my printer)? I always
find myself killing it and rpm -e'ing it.. just wondered what it is
supposed to be used for and whether or not we might find a replacement.
Don't CDROMS send some sort of "signal" when they are opened/closed that
would be better than constantly probing it?

Tommy