Fedora Test 2 will not log in to Gnome?

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Oct 7 03:01:19 UTC 2003

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:07, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Alexander Larsson wrote:

>>>Does this card work if you remove kudzu from the init scripts?
>>
>>I have the card lying around here. The problem seems that the card is
>>recognized as the below card. This card worked fine from RHL 5.2 through
>>all versions up to Severn.
>>
>>I haven't really looked into the init scripts before. Which one would
>>concern disabling Kudzu for Ethernet Cards?
>>
>>The 3c590 driver seemed to work for this card. It seems that the 3c900
>>is being attempted to use instead. The working card in my system is what
>>it states. A tornado 3c900 based. This one is not as detected.
>

> I had problems with a 3com card where kudzu probing would essentially
> "break" the network card. It couldn't see or send any packages at all.
> Just temporary moving away /etc/rc5.d/S05kudzu and rebooting made
> networking work.

The card would come up and say thet my network cable was unplugged.
This was during the system coming up. After all of the processes
completed. I noticed that I had no network connection.

I did an ifconfig and there was no address for getting out through my
router. So I just decided to run dhclient from the command line and it
got me connected. The first time I tried it was going from a 7.3
installation and it hosed GNOME, Mozilla and a slew of other
applications. KDE and konquerer worked alright though.

I let this installation be dormant for awhile, then submitted a bug for
the editing feature of redhat-config-network crashing when I tried to
add or remove a network device. The bug was closed as fixed in rawhide.

I then upgraded with a clean install of Severn1 and
redhat-config-network would still go crazy when trying to edit devices.

I'm in agreement with you that kudzu might be severely misidentifying
this device and breaking a whole lot of pieces for the distribution. I
was just surprised that one hardware device malfunctioning could cause
so much to go wrong.

If I would not run dhclient until I tried to launch Gnome. Gnome would
launch alright. But getting GNOME to shut down was not working.

I was also seeing file permission errors. This I believe was related to
the device being sort of one-way (having the ability to write the file,
but was not recognized as the same entity that wrote the file originally.)

I closed my outstanding bugs because except for the ethernet problem,
all of the other problems were symptoms of the wrong driver for the
ethernet card.

If it would be of some use. I could get the output from kudzu for my
RHL9 and the output for the severn kudzu. RH9 and below work alright for
this ethernet card. Severn toasted the NIC into uselessness.

I believe this card is pretty popular with corporate users. Figuring out
where this card and other 3c590 NICs were broken seems like something
that needs to be fixed.

I saw a posting about a 3c590 card mentioned for someone that was
installing it on a laptop. I'm not sure if he was using a PCMCIA plugin
card or if the card was builtin to his laptop. My card was PCI, But I
have a few 3com ISA cards lying around also. I haven't tried them out to
see if they are hosed or not. They all have worked with earlier versions
  of Red Hat.

Jim

--
  "I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means.	It means we
   get to keep all our old mistakes."