Prelink maxing out CPU

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 09:38:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 05:24:42AM -0400, Marcus White wrote:
> G'day,
>
> This morning noticed that my test laptop, Compaq Armada M700 w/128 Mb
> and 400Mhz CPU, was running sluggish (even more so that is). The only
> open app, other than normal system apps and KDE, was "ooimpress". The
> "prelink" program was utilizing about 90% of the CPU. Closing

For how long? Utilizing 90% of the CPU is nothing bad, as long as it
finishes in sane amount of time. The amount of work prelink does depends
on how many packages you've upgraded since last prelinking (on 24hrs
running boxes this is done nightly) and how many packages depend on them.

prelink is run reniced to +19, so scheduler should give preference to
other programs. Your problem is probably that you have very small amount
of memory and are trying to run memory hog (ooimpress) at the same time
with prelinking, so they compete for memory.

	Jakub