why can't up2date resume downloads?

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 7 23:24:27 UTC 2003

> Would ftp+ssl not be an acceptable alternative?
>
> M@
>
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 23:56, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 06:39:24PM -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > >   I wasn't aware of this.  Why is up2date HTTP-based?
> >
> >   It uses HTTP + SSL for a zillion good reasons including
> > security, authentication, proxy support.
> >
> > Daniel

  I was perusing the man page for wget and it supports HTTPS.  It also
mentioned that it only supports regetting for FTP servers and for HTTP
servers that support the "Range" header.  It sounds like it shouldn't be
significantly harder to implement resume downloading for HTTPS, assuming
the server supports the "Range" header (correct me if I'm wrong).  Would it
be easier for up2date to invoke wget, or to be self-contained?