What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Thu Oct 9 18:19:44 UTC 2003

Justin Georgeson wrote:
> The whole issue is getting a GPL compatible license to the patents, so
> that a truely GPL licensed player can be built on them. Both the player

That would be nice. I personally would prefer stickin with ogg-vorbis,
assuming it's not later found to infringe on someone's patent. Best
solution is invalidate all software patents, and prevent any future
ones. I'm not holding my breath though.

> and the patent need to have GPL compatible licenses, otherwise they
> won't be shipped in RHEL/FC.

Perhaps I missed something. RHEL and FC will contain only GPL and GPL
compatible code? Limitations on commercial reuse of the code should be
OK, such that the code cod be used on corportate machines, as long as
you aren't selling the code or something that is substantially a
derivative. So a distribution/collection is OK, but a commercial
player,encoder,decoder isn't, embedded or not.

	-Thomas