Browsing Samba in Nautilus

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 02:27:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 18:56, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I thought that would be a lucky shot if it did work though. Normally
> that parameter automatically defaults to the first part of the machine's
> IP host name.
>
> I'll keep looking...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Hmm, something is going on.  At work I have a Red Hat 9 workstation on a
mostly win2k network of a few thousand PC's.  In /etc/sysconfig/samba I
have:

# Options to smbd
SMBDOPTIONS="-D"
# Options to nmbd
NMBDOPTIONS="-D -n jim-linux"
# Options for winbindd
WINBINDOPTIONS=""

I added the -n jim-linux part to the NMBDOPTIONS to tell nmbd to use
jim-linux as my netbios name.  In /etc/samba/smb.conf I added:
  netbios name = jim-linux

This works well with Red Hat 9.  When I tried to use Fedora Core 2 at
work for my workstation, I configured samba the same way but no dice, it
didn't connect to anything and no MS box would see me so I switched back
to Red hat 9 at work.  At home I have a Fedora Core 2 laptop and a Red
Hat 9 laptop and they both can talk with no problems.

My question is, has anyone gotten samba3 to work on a Win2k/NT network?

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb
Senior Programmer Analyst