Red Hat Professional Workstation

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Oct 10 19:09:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 13:46, leam wrote:
> > Here's my understanding:
> >
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation is meant for the enterprise
> market;
> > Red hat Professional Workstation is a retail-only product intended for
> > individuals looking to use Linux personally (yeah, I can't figure out
> why
> > it says "Professional" in the name, either).

Good.  Leaving the retail market entirely would have been a mistake.
The public seeing Redhat in boxes on store shelves is important.  And,
come on, if Redhat can't make money selling a boxed collection of
community developed software in the $149.00 US range retail, well then,
there's really something wrong.  The longer release cycle should help
the profit margin, too.

Sometimes it's good for customer confidence to be able to hand the
client an actual box with a CD, etc.  (I pocket the bumper sticker, of
course. ;-)