can't umount cdrom

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 15:29:06 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 09:27, Justin Georgeson wrote:
> Louis Garcia wrote:
> > Nautilus gives me an error saying the the cdrom is busy whenever I try
> > to eject it. I remember somewhere that it had to do with fam. It's
> > really annoying.
>
> yes it is, i've had it prevent me from umounting smb shares too. fam is
> run out of xinetd, so login as root, stop xinetd, umount, start xinetd.

For CD-ROMS, this bug was fixed prior to Red Hat 8, if it's back, please
make sure it's in bugzilla.

SMB shares are going to be harder to deal with, as the way CD-ROMS are
handled (as I recall) is to say "this device is mounted read-only, we
don't need change notification on it".

But Nautilus/fam should never be watching anything for which there isn't
a window open on the desktop. If that happens, that's also is worth
putting in bugzilla.

Regards,
						Owen