test 3 installation comments/questions

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 19:13:31 UTC 2003

Michael,
I like the new install progress bar being reduced to a single "overall
install bar", I agree with your comment about "visual noise" regarding
individual package progress.

As for displaying remaining time......

When the install starts does it know how many MBytes of "stuff" need to be
installed?
If not, start a thread to add it all up while the install is running...

As "stuff" is installed, keep a sum of the MBytes installed so far...

After some initial time (30 seconds?) calculate the install-rate
(MBytes/second), and display a progress bar and time-remaining accordingly.
(During that time, display "Estimating time required to install....")

Periodically recalculate the install-rate to get a more accurate "average".

This should provide very reasonable/accurate progress indicators regardless
of the actual machine speed, and the media source etc. (i.e. just because
I'm installing on a 2GHz processor with a blindly fast disk, doesn't help my
sluggish ftp connection to do the install.... I'm just using that as an
example to illustrate you don't always have all the information you need...
some of it has to be derived/calculated (rate of install, not speed of
machine)

---

One thing I find with the text part of the progress, showing the package
name being installed..... it flashes very fast and really doesn't provide
any useful information except of course if the install hangs.... then you
know which package choked.

What I would like is for the package names to be displayed in a multi-line,
scrollable text box so I could peruse through it at my leisure and look at
specific things.... (don't automatically scroll to the bottom as items are
added, hmmm, maybe a checkbox beside it?)

Well, it's an idea... :-)

Don Russell