Flash plugin for mozilla

肇 鑫 hutigers at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 09:49:15 UTC 2003

>>Has anyone been able to install and get flash to work with the mozilla
>>in Fedora test 3?  I downloaded and isntalled it from macromedia's web
>>site but the plugin isn't showing up in Help/About plugins menu.

>>Any ideas?

I think if you use the .tar.gz file from the Marcomedia website, you can
install it even without root permission.
For me, I use mozilla and Konqueror also.  What I need to do is just
tar zxvf the file.
then run the flashplayer-installer file by ./flashplayer-installer
then the script will lead me to choose which directory to install.
For me, it is .mozilla and .netscape, I choose to install to them all.
Because mozilla needs .mozilla and Konqueror needs .netscape.
After install you will find two files(flashplayer.xpt  libflashplayer.so)
in both .mozilla/plugins and .netscape/plugins directories. So I think if
you cp them to the directory, it should also work.

However, I find a file named pluginreg.dat in .mozilla/, when using cat to
see it, it appears like
[hutigers at www hutigers]$ cat .mozilla/pluginreg.dat
Generated File. Do not edit.

[HEADER]
Version:0.08:$

[PLUGINS]
/home/hutigers/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so:$
:$
1065431790000:1:7:$
Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79:$
Shockwave Flash:$
2
0:application/x-shockwave-flash:Shockwave Flash:swf:$
1:application/futuresplash:FutureSplash Player:spl:$
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins/libnullplugin.so:$
:$
1066075357000:1:5:$
The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that
are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.:$
Default Plugin:$
1
0:*:All types:.*:$

As it says, it is generated. I think if you can not use the flash, you then
can rename the file then it will generate again. Do this if what I say
above does not work.

huhu
Oct. 15th, 2003