XFree86 available via yum

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 11:37:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

>> are in separate locations, so a file appearing at an ftp:// URL
>> will not be at an http:// URL because they are different
>> protocols with different storage locations on the hard disk
>> arrays.  Some developers may or may not hardlink the files to
>> make them available in both locations.  Personally, I favour ftp,
>
>the question is: why are they different?

Because FTP was designed in the 70's or 80's as a file transfer
protocol, and HTTP was designed in the early 90's as a hypertext
transfer protocol.  The two have different purposes, however
nowadays there is some overlap of functionality between the
protocols.  I'm not sure why this matters however.

>if they are public servers :-?

Because people wish to make web pages, and FTP doesn't serve web
pages (although some browsers will render html pages as if they
were web pages on a web server), and people also wish to make
files available for download via FTP.  Others prefer to make
their files available for download using HTTP instead.

>why is closed http index and ftp is opened?.... X files, sources are
>out there :-)

I don't understand your question, can you reword it?

>> as it works with commandline ncftp, etc. and I dislike using text
>> web browsers in place of commandline ftp clients...  ;o)
>
>there is command line web clients like elinks, w3m...
>I know that FTP was designed for file transfer but HTTP usually
>is faster, for me.

I've been using text mode web browsers since 1994, so I'm aware
of their existance.  A text mode web browser isn't a replacement
for a text mode ftp client however, and never will be.  Not in my
eyes anyway.

I don't really understand the point of your thread to be honest.
Are you suggesting that everyone use either ftp for everything,
or use http for everything, and then get rid of the other
protocol?  If so, I disagree with that, because FTP and HTTP do
not provide 100% functionality of each other.  There is some
overlap yes, but it isn't 100%.  For file downloading it doesn't
matter much, but then file downloading isn't the only reason FTP
or HTTP exists.

If FTP were to be disabled for whatever reason, I would just move
my FTP heirarchy off site to an external FTP server such as
www.linux.org.uk, as I prefer using FTP and scp for file
transfer, and being my directory structure, I choose what
protocols I use. ;o)

Anyway.. enough mindless babble from me on the topic...

;o)

Take care,
TTYL