Services

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Oct 15 19:59:24 UTC 2003

Andy Green wrote:

> Its clear that if ISDN was up only on machines with ISDN hardware,
> that would be optimal.
>
> Also, I keep getting a userspace package associated with ISDN
> installed, this is another case where some kind of virtual ISDN
> support package that includes the driver and userspace stuff could be
> installed on detection of the hardware, rather than crufting up the
> machines here which will never have ISDN.

At first thought, you are right - install hardware-dependent software
only if that hardware is present. But then, think about the average
user, and the case that he has an ISDN card which is not recognized by
kudzu. He will install the driver that comes with the card - but it
won't work because the userspasce software is not installed. I doubt
that a regular user will ever think about this.

I don't like to install anything that I don't really need - which is why
I keep a very detailed kickstart file around... ;-)) Anyone who dislikes
unnecessary software and services usually nows how to disable/uninstall
them. It is not always easy to decide what software should be
installed/started by default, but I think Red Hat does a good job here.
If you disagree, please file a RFE into bugzilla with a good explanation
why you think a particular piece of software shouldn't be
installed/started by default. Has Mike said, there's always room for
improvement!

Best regards,
Martin
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/