Services

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Oct 15 22:36:13 UTC 2003

Joakim Ryden wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 02:55 pm, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> [...]
> > It seems to me that given the delicate balancing act required
> > between giving features to the novice, and reducing cruft for the
> > anal-retentive geeks among us (and I'll count myself among them
> > happily), the novices should win out. There are plenty of experts
> > and sources of information available to help intrepid anti-crufters
> > defeat their foe.
>
> So where should the line be drawn? At the mood of the day? If the
> distribution is to give novice users features, then why not
> install/turn on more services?

Red Hat has always been concerned about security - more than most of the
other distros. One of the main reasons I choose Red Hat Linux. So the
line should be (and IMHO is) drawn when installing/starting something by
default is endangering the system's security.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/