XFree86 available via yum

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 00:24:36 UTC 2003

On Oct 15, 2003, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > For ftp you can only issue a single command, then wait for the reply.

>> But as soon as you got the connection data for one transfer, you may
>> issue another command in the control channel.  AFAIK.

> Which proves my point not yours

Err...  We were not debating the number of connections, but
pipelining, which I understand as the ability to request an additional
transmission through an open control connection while one is already
underway, to avoid a whole round-trip latency between the completion
of one transmission and the beginning of another.  Sure enough, ftp is
not as efficient as http in terms of the number of connections nor the
latency of each request, but my point is that it can do pipelining, in
that you can issue other requests before one transmission is complete.