Anaconda Installer: Use of swap space on a multi-drive, multiboot system

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Oct 16 09:43:49 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 20:28, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2003, Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > I myself can't think of anything off the top of my head other than I
> > do not want an OS' installer to mess with other drives on a
> > system.
>
> The assumption that one installation means one hard disk is not very
> common.  If you have more than one disk on the same machine, it will
> perform better of you keep different features in different disks, than
> keeping root and swap on the same disk.
>
> > That is what anaconda is doing here.
>
> Agreed.  There should be a way to disable this, just like there is a
> way to tell Anaconda to not format and to not even use other
> filesystem types.

I thought that this had been reported by myself or someone.  However, a search
through bugzilla shows that the explicit request (RFE or otherwise) has not
been submitted to have to option to NOT select a specific partition for swap
-- even if it really looks like (and is defined as) a swap partition.  At one
time, you could use the partition type (82) to do this but no more.

This has caused me problems at times and I will be submitting an RFE.
--
Gene