infrequent X lockups

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 17 11:29:49 UTC 2003

Hi,

before I go filing a bug (against what, FC oder Rawhide?):

I am having X lockups, that freeze the screen. No log messages and all
other systems continue working well (I cannot change to any vt, but I
can use ssh to get into the system). The X server has to be killed -9
and can then be restarted.

The system is neither under load nor doing anything fancy like glx (In
fact it is running only a few xterms/ssh on fvwm1).

It is also happens at random intervalls, i.e. every ~8-10h.

Here is the X process after the screen freeze:

root      3281  1.9  0.7 99036 5484 ?        RL   Oct16  15:54 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt8

which looks OK to me.

System specs:
o XFree86-4.3.0-37
o nvidia kernel modules and glx 4363 (later versions have overscan
  problems)
o hardware is duron700/alimagik1 board with TNT2

  00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1647 Northbridge [MAGiK 1 / MobileMAGiK 1] (rev 04)
  00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller
  00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 PMU
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

Is there any further diagnosis I can make the next time the screen
freezes? I am about to upgrade to latest rawhide bits.

I have had problems with nvidia drivers in the deep past, but these
were total lockups. The system does recover with killing and
restarting X, with the same nvidia kernel module running. also the
nvidia-graphics-glx stuff is not used at all (no slick screensavers
here ;), so I tend to assume nvidia drivers are not to blame.

Also the system worked without any problem under RH9 until I upgraded
to rawhide/test3, so I also assume non-flaky hardware (and that would
probably have caused total lockups, too).
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de