Nautilus and editing text files as root.

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Oct 17 13:35:35 UTC 2003

Mattias Dahlberg wrote:
> Seeing how nicely consolehelper is used to request the root password
> when a redhat-config-* tool is launched, I was wondering if the same
> technique could be used to bring an Edit as Root option for text files
> in Nautilus?

> I've been dreaming about such a feature for a very long time and it's one
> of the few things left I can't accomplish without using the command line.

To teach myself how consolehelper stuff worked...i played around making a root
run nautilus window through consolehelper...using a /usr/bin/root-fm symlink.
Cute but unwise.

But adding an edit as root right click menu option for text files would
probably be a much better tradeoff situation than running nautilus
itself as root. Shouldn't be too hard to create something like a
/usr/bin/root-gedit symlink along with the consolehelper/userhelper
logic to make root-gedit run gedit as root. And then associated
root-gedit as a possible application to open a certain type of file
with. You should be able to build this feature yourself and test it out.

-jef"still not sure if its wise to have this in by default"spaleta