AMD Athlon64 Systems

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Sun Oct 19 19:25:38 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:18:15PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> As a side note - AMD64 supports 32bit pointers being used in
> 64bit applications, although I'm not sure wether or not our gcc
> (or any for that matter) support this yet.  -mmodel=small
> alledgedly enables it, although I haven't tested that either.

That's wrong. -mcmodel=small (which is BTW the default for -fno-pic
code on x86_64-*-linux*) means that binary's code and data all fits into
low 2GB of address space. Pointers are still 64-bit, as not pointers
point to symbols in the binary.
This is very different from the 32-bit ABI I was talking about.

	Jakub