Up2date hangs at Testing Package Set

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Sun Oct 19 23:23:24 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 23:48, Paul wrote:
> I was updating from beta 2 to 3 via up2date.  I grabbed the new kernel but
> started having problems with "Testing Package Set / Solving RPM
> Inter-dependencies".  If I selected more than 8 or 10 packages it would
> just hang up and the status bar never even started.  So I grabbed the
> update for up2date.  Things started to get even worse.  Now the
> inter-dependency check hangs even if I select one package ( I did wait
> 3-1/2 hours for it to do its thing).
>
> OK, now I'm a bit new to this so please if you can, give detailed
> suggestions.  Like don't tell me to reload the old up2date becasuse I've
> always used up2date to do my updates.  Where would I get that package etc.?

I already suffered this.... I concluded the hang is caused by package
interdependencies for some rpms that cannot be satisfied by the set of RPMs
already installed.

I'm really pleased to hear its not just me suffering these strange events :-)

I did finally successfully update this machine to test3 by using up2date
repeatedly to install all of the packages that could be installed without the
hang, killing up2date if it did hang and trying again with half the packages
deselected binary search-wise.

In the end I had eight or ten packages that would hang up2date.  I found out
the URL being used by up2date to fetch the packages

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide//i386/RedHat/RPMS/

and downloaded the bad boys by hand using a browser.  When I installed by hand
by rpm some complained about uninstalled dependencies -- this is what hung
up2date I believe.  One of the deps was rhgb needing libvte (package vte-*)
for example.

-Andy