Fedora Issues

Ed esimmonds at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 20 17:45:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 11:10, Andy Green wrote:

> Sounds to me like your machine is barely working, when it gets hot (from the
> kernel compile, or the screensaver) it is failing to work at all.
> ''Segfaults or other problems'' makes it sound like a nonspecific hardware
> mailaise.  Is it possible you have a bad DIMM of RAM, or you are
> overclocking, or a family of mice are living inside the dust on the
> motherboard?  Or one of your fans is broken on the motherboard, that'd do it?

Sure, that's the first thing I would think except I don't overclock (I
actually underclock on my backup server).  This same machine runs RH9
for days straight with no problems.  I also run Gentoo (with it's 4 and
5 hour compiles) on another partition without a hitch.

I have duplicated these problems on another box, a tower server with
seven fans.  Has anyone compiled a kernel successfully (i686, not
athlon?)

Best,

--

Edward Simmonds    RHCE, OCP