smartd telling me nonsense

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Tue Oct 21 16:35:22 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 12:47, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:13:49 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > >From my LogWatch:
> >
> >  --------------------- Smartd Begin ------------------------
> >
> > /dev/hda :
> >    1 Time(s): SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed
> > from 134 to 130
> >
> >  ---------------------- Smartd End -------------------------
> >
> > pretty hot! :-)
>
> What do you get for "smartctl -a /dev/hda | grep Temp"?
>
> Could be that it's 130 degrees Fahrenheit, although that would still
> be very hot. Check the specifications of your drive.

This one confused me too.  It's not a temperature at all, its a range
indicator running between 0 and 255 with 100 representing the average
expected, numbers below 100 representing below average values and
numbers above representing above average values... so for example one of
my drives reads:

194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   118   112   000    Old_age
-       40

--that number at the end is the actual temperature in celsius (40) --
which is way hotter than it should be, hence the 194 for the operational
value (way above average).

All this and more can be derived from the smartd and smartctl man pages.

Also, be aware that FC comes with a pre-existing smartd conf file that
won't match your real system, and will place spurious errors about not
being able to read certain devices in your logfiles.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves