vote for Lilo

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Oct 21 20:23:50 UTC 2003

Samuel Flory wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Don't put /boot on a RAID partition... simple.  I don't believe that
>> either Grub or LILO are going to work reliably on any RAID type other
>> than RAID 1.
>

>    Lilo in RH 9 works great on RAID1 arrays.

That's what I said.  Either Grub or LILO should work on RAID 1, but I
don't believe that either will work with RAID 0 or 5.

> Unlike with grub the RH 9
> installer installed lilo to both drives.

How'd it do that?  I confess that I've not used RH 9 with LILO, but I'm
not aware of any special directives that would make that work.  Lilo,
like grub is normally installed to the MBR of a drive.  RAID devices
will not include that, so perhaps you installed to the superblock of
your partition?  That should work with both grub and LILO, but both will
need another boot loader on the MBR to chain boot them from their
location at the superblock on the RAID partition.