LILO or Death ! :-)

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkade at bigbrother.net
Wed Oct 22 00:32:43 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 04:59 pm, gsc wrote:

> Lilo is so basic that you will never imagine that
> one day you do not have it, can you imagine a unix like without VI
> editor ? Hum ?!

GNU/Hurd. Ships with nano by default.  Much to my chagrin, the
repository on alpha.gnu.org is somehow broken, so I can't even install
vi/VIm!  So, there, not only can I imagine a unix-like system that
doesn't ship with vi, but I have one installed.  For that matter, it
doesn't include lilo, either, but one should expect that. :)

Honestly, I don't really miss lilo, as I've been using Grub for quite a
while now, but I really do like lilo on my servers, primarily because
of it's -R command to boot a specific image on the next boot only.
Very useful for booting a new kernel on a remote system, in case it
breaks.

Someone here mentioned using grub's "savedefault --onlyonce"
option/command, but I haven't found a rendition of that that can be run
from a command-line or script.  It seems it's primarily for use in
grub.conf to remember the last system you booted into.

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkade at bigbrother.net>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu