One last thing... AC97

Göbölös Zoltán zgobolos at 777westel.hu
Wed Oct 22 09:03:25 UTC 2003

No, don't badger the bios!

To make sure acpi helps you, look at /proc/pci. Look for the audio chip
section. Find the IRQ. Then find another hardware section that reports
hardware using the same IRQ. To make things more clean, try too boot a
Windows (if you have) and do the same search in the device setting
application.

If you find IRQ collision in your sound chip IRQ, acpi is your friend.
If not, try other solutions, for example heavy search on Google, and
skip the rest of this letter.

If your kernel goes to panic with acpi=on, that is the bigger problem i
think. The kernel usually says try to boot with acpi=off or noacpi (or
something similar) when you get an error using acpi. But acpi may the
solution for your sound problem.

So you may trow a bugreport including kernel version, symptoms in all
variations of settings of HT and SMP/UP kernel, and `cat /proc/pci`

--
gz