Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Oct 22 18:07:03 UTC 2003

Paul Iadonisi wrote:

>  Nobody is suggesting that everyone is going to have the option.  But
>certainly *some* are going to have that option and if they really care about
>solving problems (and I would think being on fedora-test-list implies that
>they do), that they will excercise that option and do the testing required
>to confirm whether or not the problem is with NVidia drivers.  And
>if the problem is with NVidia binary-only drivers, realize that this list,
>Red Hat bugzilla, or XFree86 bugzilla, are not the places to get the
>problem resolved.

Nobody is suggesting that this list troubleshoot nvidia driver issues,
that would be pointless, since, as we all know, and as has been
repeatedly stressed, nvidia controls the development of their drivers -
so let them do what they do best, and report any nvidia driver problems
to nvidia - what we do see, however, is users reporting problems with
fedora core test, and they are immediately disregarded if it turns out
that they are using nvidia cards/drivers - and that is not at all
helpful, since the problems they are seeing are seldom if ever related
to  any  flaws in the nvidia drivers, from what I can see.

>  Leaving the analogy for the moment, nobody has presented evidence that
>the problem is not with the NVidia binary-only drivers.

What sort of evidence are you requiring from them? Most of the time it's
something like "reproduce the error without loading the nvidia modules"
which makes it impossible to reproduce the error since it only happens
in some GUI application :\ Heck, these folks just want to find out how
to work around the issues with a minimum of grief. More often than not,
it turns out that someone on the list has found a solution and posts it,
which fixes the problem for the original poster - no kernel debugging
needed,

>Do you know of any enterprises who care how well
>games run on their enterprise desktops?  For most, it's probably a plus
>if they *don't* run well.

If the games can't run on linux, then it's most likely that no other
demanding 3D apps can run either :\

>>Surely there is a happy medium here somwhere, and we'll need to find it
>>if linux is to gain greater acceptance.
>>

>  Linux is gaining greater and greater acceptance every day just fine,
>thank you.

I've been using and administering linux for 10 years, so no need to
bring me up to speed on that, and the progress has been remarkable - but
I am far from happy with the rate of adoption - take a look around you?
do you see a sea of ms windows pcs? Hello? getting hassled by vendors
and isps because you're not running ms windows? That's far from "just
fine" in my book.

>  Put responsibility for solving closed source problems where they belong.
>That's all I'm saying (albeit, quite verbosely).

We certainly agree on that - and nobody can deny that nvidia has been
very responsive, and worked hard to make their drivers the best ones
available for linux. I'm just saying, don't make this a witch hunt, give
nvidia users the benefit of the doubt unless you have some reason to
suspect their problem is caused by an nvidia bug.

BTW I'm running fc t3 with nvidia geforce 2, nvidia accelerated drivers,
and multimedia applications - it's very snappy, solid, and I haven't had
any problems so far, other than having to tweak a few things to get the
GL screensavers to use nvidia drivers instead of mesa software gl. I
will give it the q3a test later.

Joe