scrambled partition not rewritten in test3 install

Scott A. Sibert ssibert at hollins.edu
Wed Oct 22 20:40:56 UTC 2003

On the same hardware as my earlier post (and before the crash noted in
my earlier post) the test3 installer said the partition table was not
aligned correctly (or something like that).  One symptom of that is
there was always a partition from cylinder 1 to cylinder 1 of size 0 no
matter how much I tried to delete it.  It asked if I wanted to "Ignore"
or "Cancel" and choosing either did the same thing:  no changes to the
partition table.  It would then proceed to let me choose autopartition
or disk druid (or my favorite, fdisk from shell).

I booted the RHEL3 beta cd and it also gave me the partition warning
message.  When I chose "Cancel" there, it asked me if I wanted to
rewrite the partition table which would wipe out all data on the disk.
Of course, I wanted to do so.  The partition table now does not have
that strange first partition.  Booting back to test 3 I do not get the
partition table alignment warning.

It sounds to me like a step is missing from test3 that exists in RHEL3
beta.  I can not test this again since the partition table is now fixed.

--Scott