Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

nosp nosp at xades.com
Thu Oct 23 00:23:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 19:02, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> The Nvidia libGL, and the Mesa libGL explicitly conflict with
> each other.  There is no way to cleanly make them coexist
> currently.
>
> I think I should make this conflict explicit in the rpm rather
> than users continuously experiencing unknown libGL problems when
> installing Nvidia's drivers.  This would make it much easier for
> people using Nvidia proprietary drivers to use them with less
> troublesome and hard to diagnose conflicts.
>
> I'll investigate doing this in our next build.

I suppose it's not as simple as letting X install without the Mesa
rpm?   I'd gladly not install that if it meant I didn't have to
re-install my nvidia drivers after every Mesa upgrade from rawhide.  I
must be doing something basic wrong: although the rpm doesn't seem to be
a dependency of anything, apt wants to rip X & everything that uses it
out if I try to remove the Mesa rpm:

# rpm -q --whatrequires XFree86-Mesa-libGL
no package requires XFree86-Mesa-libGL
# apt-get remove XFree86-Mesa-libGL
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  GConf GConf-devel GConf2
[snip]
emacs (the horror!)
[snip]
evolution evolution-devel
[snip]
gnome-desktop [umm...]
redhat-config-rootpassword [yes, it's bad...you get the picture]
[snip]
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 257 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 994MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n[o friggin way]
---