Newer ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL, and Nvidia GeForce/Quadro hardwaresupport

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 08:50:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> exclusive to Fedora Core test 3 and later.  Also, this video
>> hardware support will also be released as an update for Red Hat
>> Linux 9 in the near future, as:
>>
>>	XFree86-4.3.0-2.90.$RAWHIDE_RELEASE_NUMBER
>>

>Yay, any chance of getting the nvidia gpl agp nforce drivers as part of an
>updated kernel package that's released at the same time?

You'd have to ask a kernel developer about that.  Dave Jones is
the Fedora kernel maintainer now, perhaps if he's reading he can
comment.  Otherwise you might want to post an RFE in bugzilla
detailing the problem and your preferred solution.

Personally though, I'm uninvolved with the kernel for the most
part.

>The 2.4.20 kernel that comes with 9 just missed out on the
>driver for this (I think it was included with the 2.4.21 kernel)
>so my Radeon 9200 Pro has been running without agp accel and
>with a ChipId entry to get it working. The new xfree package
>will solve half the problem and I'm sure I'm not the only person
>with a nforce board and I wouldn't have thought they would be
>that invasive or effect anything else in the kernel.
>
>Lspci entry FYI (in the list below as far as I can tell :-)
>
>03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5961
>(rev 01)

That's in 4.3.0.  The pcitable wont autodetect it though.  I
might have to issue a hwdata package update for that if Bill
doesn't mind.