Speakup in kernel

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 22:46:50 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > The questions about things like the removal of serial ports from new PC's
> > have to be answered meaningfully
> Is it at all likely that add-on serial cards will disappear as well?

I've no idea. If you talk to some of the vendors at the low end they are
dreaming of a box that is sealed, has an external "brick" PSU, no slots,
and lots of USB connectors. Thats how they take the next downward
step in costs. It means easier safety tests, easier emissions tests and
so on.

In general the changes to the PC definitions vendors work from which are
produced each year no longer need serial ports to be present, what vendors
do is harder to guess. They tried to kill the serial port before but palm
stuff got really popular just before they moved 8)

What someone with the disabled experience ought to do is talk to people
like Intel about disabled output support standards for the EFI (BIOS
replacement) firmware standards they are working on, or within ACPI.
[Or if this stuff already exists let us know about it]