Login-program crashes (FCt3)

Johnny Ljunggren johnny at navtek.no
Fri Oct 24 09:56:07 UTC 2003

When my system boots up on run level 5, X will try to start but crashes
twice before telling me that 'Welcome program seems to crash. Trying
another' (translated from norwegian, may be a bit different). Then I get
a fairly standard login program. Anybody else run into this?
I also checked the /etc/X11/prefdm which I believe is run when starting
X, and the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop is used to check the preferred
display manager. That file contains this line DESKTOP=GNOME (although I
use KDE), but the prefdm-script uses $DISPLAYMANAGER to start the
correct login program (gdm/kdm/xdm).
This seems all a bit confusing, what is the real story here?

--
Johnny Ljunggren