lilo vs grub

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 10:40:48 UTC 2003

On Oct 23, 2003, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

>> it right, and worked.  But then, I want to replace the broken hda.  So
>> I insert a new disk there, and voila, can't reboot.

> Same if you shoot the machine with a rocket propelled grenade. The PC
> isnt idiot proof. Users do care it survives the disk fail, managing the
> disk replacement is easily done, and as I said this was a real commercial
> project and it worked a treat. The replacement disk was already bootable
> when inserted

I don't dispute it can be done.  I just dispute the `lilo works with
raid1 out of the box.'  There are many issues in which it's essential
that the user understands what's going on, and the limitations of the
approach lilo takes, to enable things to actually `just work.'  This
is the only point I'm trying to make.