up2date crashes und some circumstances

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Fri Oct 24 11:31:46 UTC 2003

Am Fr, den 24.10.2003 schrieb Alexandre Oliva um 12:44:
> On Oct 24, 2003, Andy Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:
>
> > I believe its a bug in up2date triggered when the installed packages have
> > dependencies on other packages not also selected
>
> This is my impression.  It seems that up2date removes .hdr files
> formerly downloaded from apt repos when it installs the corresponding
> packages.  Then, if it needs to resolve dependencies, it tries to open
> the .hdr files it had removed without downloading them again, and gets
> into an infinite loop.

May be, the problem here is a different one. I could track the problem a
little bit further.

The problems were due to the inclusion of abiword 2.0.0-3 and librsvg2
2.4.0-2 into the set of files to be updated.

I had installed Abiword (2.0.0-3) for some reason. up2date did find a
newer version (2.0.0-6) and tries to update. The newer version depends
on a package, the older version obiously did not (libcroco, don't know
about it) and therefore libcroco is not installed on my system. up2date
tries to perform an update, but couldn't update libcroco, because it
isn't installed yet. up2date had to update abiword but first install a
new package, libcroco. This doesn't work for some reason. As soon, as I
install libcroco manually from test 3 CD-3 (same version as currently in
Rawhide), I can use up2date to update abiword as usual.

Same pattern with librsvg2. The new version in rawhide depends on
libcroco, too, the old one of the test-2 ISO images obviously did not
(otherwise it had been installed). After installing libcroco I could use
up2date to update librsvg2, too.

I don't know the logic of the up2date program, but I suppose  the error
is not due to prior deletion of .hdr files.

Perhaps I should add my findings to your bugzilla entry or should I file
a new bug?

Peter