Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 12:21:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Bjorn Andersen wrote:

>The problem was solved. It was the XFree86-Mesa-libGL making
>trouble.  After uninstalling with "rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL
>--nodeps" evrything works fine. And I think that making
>Videogames working under RedHat/Fedora is the ONLY way to get
>Linux out to the masses...

The problem isn't the XFree86-Mesa-libGL package.  The problem is
Nvidia's packages are horribly packaged and once installed they
randomly delete files that the OS installed via RPM.  Only
Nvidia's code doesn't know about the new thread local storage
stuff, so it doesn't delete the secondary libGL libraries, and
those libraries get found instead of Nvidia's libGL.  If Nvidia's
installation was properly implemented to begin with, then Nvidia
users would not experience these type of problems.

installation to not destroy OS installed libraries and files, but
to do it properly instead, and uninstall the Mesa-libGL package
automatically so that users don't have to fuss with it
themselves.

>NO homeuser will ever touch Linux if they cant play!

<personal opinion>

So what?

</personal opinion>