Beep on X11 login screen

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sat Oct 25 16:07:59 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 01:11, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Can it be turned off ?
> > > I guess it can, but I am not at my fedora system right now, so I can't check...
> >
> > to my knowledge, no, it cannot be disabled. And why does it matter? It's
> > a single beep.
>
> Its annoying. A beep should be an alert for something important. Its just
> horrible UI work, fortunately its easy to hack out of the sources

Can we please just agree that it's important for some people while at
the same time annoying to others? A boolean BeepWhenReady option
shouldn't be that hard to implement to please both camps. Bonus points
for implementing Andy Green's idea:

> Why not turn this into a PR pluspoint by, for at least the first boot,
> making a little note on the login display explaining why the beep is
> there (karma++) and how to turn it off if you are not visually
> challenged, for extra points a checkbox right there and then.
>
> -Andy

Having it beep by default for the visually impaired is a must IMO.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com