Daylight savings time missed by test3

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Oct 26 16:42:16 UTC 2003

> No, I'm not sure why the poster suggested using Red Hat's NTP
> server as daylight savings time adjustment is a completely
> separate issue as to wether or not you use NTP.

DST adjustment is handled by the C library as the kernel core time
is in seconds since a fixed point. The system also knows about
handling DST shifts in the CMOS clock and will correct for this
except for PIIX4 in certain years (hardware errata)

> Again though, using NTP, and automatically adjusting for daylight
> savings time are 2 completely separate issues.

Indeed. A Linux system supports multiple users in different timezones
with different daylight saving rules - at the same time.