Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 18:15:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

>> > If I may ask, why do I have to remove this? I've always used the NVIDIA
>> > driver, before fedora, and never had a problem.
>> If you don't remove the Mesa-libGL, you wont' be able to run the GL
>> screensavers. Look over past discussions regarding XFree, Nvidia, and
>> these in the list.
>
>Interesting - I was always under the impression that the latest NVidia
>installers updated the MesaGL libraries so that they did work with the
>GL screen savers.

They've never done that ever.  They delete Mesa with "rm" rather
than removing the rpm package.  Then they plop their own
proprietary libGL in it's place.  That's not what I'd call an
update.  It's a complete replacement, done in a very hackish and
non-rpm friendly manner.

The current XFree86-Mesa-libGL packages however provide multiple
libGL's and Nvidia's hack doesn't hit them all, so you get Mesa
still.

>The only error I have ever seen, even with the RSSS packages,
>was that some complained that DRI was not loaded. Since the
>NVidia drivers don't like DRI, I assumed this was normal.

This is because the Nvidia ugly hack to delete libGL only gets
part of it.  The i686 TLS libGL is left, and if your system
autodetects as being i686 compatible and compatible with TLS,
that library will override anything installed in the general
location (where Nvidia puts theirs).  As such, you end up using
Mesa software libGL, and it tells you no DRI driver is available,
which is correct.