gnome errors

Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Tue Oct 28 22:25:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 23:29, Will Backman wrote:
> Perhaps this is for the gnome people...
> Running FC RC3, Up2date this morning.
> I've had trouble logging in a second time.  If I boot, I can log in fine.
> If I log out, and then back in, gnome fails to run, and I am back to gdm.
>
> I went into a KDE session, and ran Evolution, but the disk ran hard for a
> while and then stopped, so I tried running it from the command line.  Here
> is what I got:

Seen something similar with evolution here also. The problem can come
from 3 programs which are running without the session-manager.
gconfd-2
bonobo-activation-server
evolution-alarm-notify
and sometimes evolution-wombat.

If after I log out they are still running (ps -afx | grep $progname), I
usually kill them. I've noticed that bonobo-*-* and gconfd-2 will not
die until any process which was spawned by me during the session die.
For example when I start ed2k_gui (edonkey), it spawns "donkey". If I
exit ed2k_gui, donkey still runs in the background, so gconfd-2 doesn't
die.

The problem is (I think) that when gnome-session is started again (new
logon), it cannot connect again to gconfd-2, bonobo-activation-server
etc., because they shouldn't be running in the first place.

The solution(it's not really a solution) is to kill them before
logging-in again.

Evolution also does not die sometimes, because it's still connected to
the server (IMAP in this case). Unfortunately the Evolution is shutting
down window disappears, so you cannot really know when it's dead unless
you do a process listing.