will there be a tui user config

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Oct 30 07:34:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> I think that the fact that SMIT had to do this was an indication that
> the whole configuration process was wrongheaded from the start in AIX.
> I have always felt that keeping a database and then overwriting a set
> of functionally write-only config files was the worst combination of
> possibilities available.  (Yes, I was an AIX admin at one time, I'm
> not just spouting off.)

I'm curious about your take on redhat-config-printer, then ;-)

I'll agree AIX configuration sucks. One thing SMIT does which is nice,
though. You can have it show command-lines which it is running behind the
scenes. Some aspects of SMC (Sun's java admin crapplet) are the same way.
That's a nice feature in GUI admin tools for newbies b/c it lets them slowly
learn the right way to do something if they want to migrate to the command
line.

later,
chris