Arjan's kernel 2.6-test9 and logitech usb mouse scroll wheel

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Oct 30 11:58:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 03:23, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 04:49, Andrew Farris wrote:

> Well, the usb printer was not working either.  I ended up hard coding
> '/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd' in rc.sysinit to make that work and now the
> mouse wheel works.  I've never really understood how all the usb stuff
> fits together, but I'm wondering how my mouse was working at all without
> the usb host device module loaded.
>
> BTW, just changing the module alias in /etc/modules.conf to point to
> uhci_hcd doesn't work.

No, the modules.conf is not the active module configuration with 2.6,
its modprobe.conf instead.  Also, the configuration by default for
RedHat seems to load the bootp usb drivers for keyboard and mouse by the
aliases at the bottom of the file (which may be why it works without the
full HID).

install hid /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install hid && { /sbin/modprobe
keybdev; /sbin/modprobe mousedev; /bin/true; }

remove hid { /sbin/modprobe -r keybdev; /sbin/modprobe -r mousedev; } ;
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove hid

I've got similar workarounds for my 2.6 kernel (to the hardcoded module
load you've got), as well as an attempt to determine which kernel is
running (in sysinit) before loading modules for usb, and using different
module names.  Its messy at present and the basic modprobe.conf created
by generate-modprobe.conf doesn't work very well.

At present, I'm compiling the kernel source with the modules built in,
as well as alsa and ntfs support.  Doing a custom build off the arjanv
kernel-source is probably the best way to go anyway.

Andrew Farris <fedora at andrewfarris.com>