Laptop Mode

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 13:10:35 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:57:56AM -0800, Heiko Jones wrote:
 > What does it do exactly and how is it enabled in the kernel?

Alters the VM/block layer write-out frequency, and changes
things so if the disk gets spun up for a read, all pending writes
also get flushed. Result: more battery life.
The apm scripts automatically adjust this when you insert/remove
power (or boot on battery).
Something I haven't tested is whether this works on ACPI.

 > I did not see anything in the release notes, and remember it being disabled
 > somewhere along 0.94.

That turned out to be a problem with a related patch (the blkaam patch
which adjusts the accoustic level of a drive depending on how much its
being used). Some drives didn't like that, so it got dropped, and
laptop-mode came back.  Due to time constraints for test3 we dropped
both patches to be on the safe side.

		Dave