bogus rawhide entries?? (desktop-backgrounds-basic 2.0.17)

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Oct 30 22:01:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 14:36, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > Is this the same issue that others have seen with up2date pulling (well,
> > attempting to pull) rawhide files that no longer exist???

[...snip...]
> I don't know whether up2date's willingness to download an HTML file
> should be considered a bug in up2date or in bad server maintenance.  Don't
> RPM files have a magic number or something that up2date could use to avoid
> downloading the 404 file?

Once again, since this problem keeps coming up and people may not have
looked through the archives:
http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg03287.html
http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg03812.html

I have put this in bugzilla as an RFE for up2date -- #108652 -- as it
seems like a Really Bad Idea for up2date to just assume that downloaded
files are complete and correct without doing a check that takes very
little additional operational time (compared to the update process
itself).

Judging by Jesse Keating's response:
http://redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg03988.html

...we shouldn't have to worry about this problem much longer on the Red
Hat servers, but as we would expect over time that the FC community will
be using a variety of repos around the globe, some of them likely will
encounter this problem again. In those cases up2date should fail nicely
with a reasonable error message.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE