OpenGL screensavers MUCH slower now

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 31 12:52:40 UTC 2003

Message: 29
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:10:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com>
To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: OpenGL screensavers MUCH slower now

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Douglas Stewart wrote:

>Since the slew of upgrades over the past few days, I've noticed that
>OpenGL screensavers run far, far slower than they used to.  Also, when
>they run, my laptop fan kicks on with far greater frequency than it
ever
>used to.
>
>Any ideas as to what's going on?  It's a Dell Inspiron 4150 with a ATI
>Radeon Mobility 7500 (using the "radeon" driver FC ships with.)
>
>Should I perhaps try the ATI-provided binary driver?

Since nothing has changed in the Radeon drivers or X server,
libGL, DRI drivers, etc. whatsoever in a long time, it is highly
unlikely that any performance loss is an XFree86 driver induced
problem.

Oddly enough, Ingo Molnar, and several other people have remarked
to me this week that OpenGL performance has magically sped up
dramatically lately.  I haven't changed anything which would
change performance up or down, so I'm surprised anyone sees any
difference at all.  My guess is something in the kernel changed.

Personally, I see no change in performance either way.

I have been checking out the GL screensavers since the original release
and this last release has actually worked better. The screensavers have
been choppy but now they are are a lot better, smooth and no choppyness.
My machine is an older pIII 600 and a I810 video with 256 megs of ram.

Mike