[off topic] How to automatically make file/directory links on webpage?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Fri Oct 31 17:18:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:06, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> I'm pretty much a newbie to making a webpage. I do not understand your
> answer completely. Should I change something to the settings of the
> apache server or so? I don't know if my hosting provider lets me do this.

Yes, that's what he's saying.  The link to which you referred is
generated by the web server itself, not any hand- or tool-generated html
file.  In apache 2.x, you change the configuration to enable indexes,
something like:

--- /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
# FancyIndexing is whether you want fancy directory indexing or
standard.
# VersionSort is whether files containing version numbers should be
# compared in the natural way, so that `apache-1.3.9.tar' is placed
before
# `apache-1.3.12.tar'.
#
IndexOptions FancyIndexing VersionSort NameWidth=*
---

Of course, your web hosting provider should provide you with an
interface (often called a "control panel") that allows you change some
or all of these settings.