gnome desktop is *still* unusable after rawhide update.

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 1 21:06:36 UTC 2003

>>On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:09:05PM -0400, Elton Woo wrote:
>> How do I capture error dialogs in Nautilus?
>> I've recently updated from rawhide, and when I login, I get error
>> messages to the effect that gnome settings cannot be saved,
>> because  ****** .... etc.
>>
>> I have to logout of Gnome via CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>>
>> KDE is working fine, and it's from *this* desktop that I'm sending
>> this message.
>>

>Maybe gconf-sanity-check-2 has more info if you try running it.
>Run it with DISPLAY= so there's no X connection and it prints to
t>he command line.

>You could also strace -o /tmp/output -f gconf-sanity-check-2 to
>see what goes wrong.

Can you guve me some dummy-leve instructions on how to
do this? Essentially, I can now *read* the text in the error dialogs,
but since I have neither desktop icons, nor the panel, I can't
(read: don't know how to) access a console prompt. TKseti and
licq load, because they are in my startup sessions...

Other than that, I would have to read each error message and
write them down on paper, then login to KDE to post further info
on this. N.B. The nVidia drivers are now installed, and I have almost
all updates from rawhide installed. At the very least, the important
ones like glibc, gnome-panel, and nautilus are installed....

Thanks,

Elton