Sound problem on Severn

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 2 12:42:32 UTC 2003

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

>>>You need to use the KDE Kontrol Centre to release the
>>>device after a certain amount of time. Something like
>>>30 seconds should do it.
>>>

>>Or configure XMMS to use artsd...
>>

>It doesn't work. Crashes..
>But I need to run VMware and it can't open /dev/dsp too.

that being the case, you'll have to 'killall artsd' before you run
VMWare... I'm not sure if there's a way around it, but iirc VMware only
uses direct access to /dev/dsp and can't/won't share with a sound daemon...
--

Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.