Sound problem on Severn

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 2 15:36:06 UTC 2003

On Sep 2, 2003 at 09:36, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes in a maddening rage wrote:

>Em Ter, 2003-09-02 às 09:03, ne... escreveu:
>> >Before I get inside KDE, the sound works fine, and I can test the
>> >soundcard using eox to play songs, or cat /etc/dsp. After I log in KDE,
>> >and the Arts server runs, I can't use any other application that uses
>> >sound. If I give a cat /dev/dsp it gives a "Resource Busy" response. If
>> >I try to run xmms or any other sound player, the same problem.
>
>> You need to use the KDE Kontrol Centre to release the
>> device after a certain amount of time. Something like
>> 30 seconds should do it.
>
>I tried doing it and did not work. Shouldn't it be set by default?
Did you quit KDE then go back in so that artsd is restarted?
Artsd generally releases devices after a long while. Also check
the permissions on /dev/dsp as well. Unfortunately I am not
sitting at by Linux boxen at the moment.

Would the last person to leave Michigan please turn out the lights?
 11:33:33  up 8 days, 23:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00