severn up2date oddities (was RE: cyclical dependencies?)

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Sep 5 21:20:42 UTC 2003

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Vanco, Donald (VANCOD at PIOS.com) said:
>> [root at localhost up2date]# rpm -ivh
>> redhat-config-securitylevel-tui-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
>> Preparing...
>> [100%]
>>         file /usr/sbin/lokkit from install of
>> redhat-config-securitylevel-tui-1.2.3-1 conflicts with file from
>> package lokkit-0.50-24.1
>
> Upgrade, not install. r-c-s-tui obsoletes lokkit.
	Ah - makes sense.

	So - after upgrading 264 packages I rebooted.

Interesting things of note:

In GRUB menu, the UP kernel is now first with the SMP kernel second - they
were reversed prior to up2date.

Upon first boot kudzu hung the system (as far as I could tell - console not
responsive for many minutes) so I (hard) rebooted with "interactive" mode
skipping kudzu.  This got me into the system.

Upon second boot I got
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
followed immediately by:
open (/dev/console) Input/output error
...and init quits.  ctrl-alt-del functions to reboot system

(methinks kb/mouse config got garbled somehow?)

Third boot - kudzu now wants to remove "keyboard unknown".....

Fourth boot - back to "normal"

I did not move the positions of any USB devices in this process.

System:
Shuttle i865 based "XPC" system (includes graphics and AC97 sound)
2.4GHz P4 (800MHz FSB, HT enabled)
1/2GB 400MHz DDR
Serial ATA HD (with 8MB buffer - syncs seem to take a long time; for some
reason smartd does not do anything to this drive - just the floppy?)
USB KB & Mouse
USB digital media reader
USB floppy (not attached during any of this)

	...don't know that anything here is particularly noteworthy, just
passing this on as it seems a bit messy..

Don