Testing NPTL on i586 [was: What is minimum RAM to install?]

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 23:42:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:39:46PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> "Barry K. Nathan" wrote:
>
> > http://math.uci.edu/~bnathan/linux/glibc/glibc-2.3.2-27.9.2bkn/
> >
> > The i486 packages seem to work on an i686 box. I no longer have any
> > real i486 or i586 boxes, and when I posted about this on rpm-list,
> > nobody with an i586 box ever replied to me. If nobody tries this on
> > a real i586 box, I could try to emulate an i586 one way or another,
> > but that's another thing I haven't had time to do yet.
>
> I'm typing this on a *real* i586 (Intel Pentium 166 MMX). I can do a
> fresh install of RHL 9 here (empty 4 GB partition). Please tell me what
> to do for the test, and I'll do it, maybe next weekend.

Sorry, I didn't have a chance to reply earlier.

I guess you should install RHL 9 on an i[45]86, then rpm -Uvh
glibc-2.3.2-27.9.2bkn.i486.rpm, glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.2bkn.i386.rpm,
and any other glibc RPMs needed to resolve dependencies. Then reboot
(just to make sure things work afterward -- I'm guessing you'll see tons
of segfaults if things are broken), and run the following command:
getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION

and make sure it responds with NPTL not linuxthreads.

There might be other stuff to try for testing, but the above is a good
start.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>