New Kernel - athlon - Mozilla

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 13:37:54 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 05:59:33AM -0700, jdow wrote:
 > Dave, does this mean that Red Hat is going off onto its own kernel tree
 > for development?

By removing cruft from the version number ?

Old:  kernel-2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl.src.rpm
New:  kernel-2.4.22-1.2030.nptl.src.rpm

the -20 was there to work around going from RHL8 to RHL9, and until
recently, people forgot about it. The .2.36 stuff is just CVS branch junk
that disappeared when merging from a branch to HEAD.

 > If not it would be a major boon to sanity if the kernel
 > version at least preserved the "2.4.22-X" format so that it is clear
 > where the kernel development version ends and the Red Hat versioning
 > begins.

     kernel-2.4.22 - 1.2030.nptl.src.rpm
base        ^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^^^^
seperator----------^ |

Red Hat revision-----'

Note that 2.4.22 here is actually 2.4.22-ac1

 > Could you share with us some of the thought process that went
 > into the new versioning scheme? (Of course, this begs the question by
 > presuming there was a thought process rather than a Dilbertian Manager
 > Decision behind it.)

If anything, its now a lot simpler.  Or did I miss something ?

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk